While there is a high and low range on every car that tells what you can expect from it from a fuel efficiency standpoint, what you may not think about is how you drive – and how you maintain your vehicle – can make a significant difference on your overall MPG numbers. With that in mind, we offer seven great ways to save money on fuel economy.
(1) Be a light foot: Smooth driving is an easy way to increase fuel economy. Hard starts and stops are wasteful. Look ahead and plan ahead; don’t race up to a red light, only to stop and wait for it to change.
(2) Stay in tune: Keep your car in top mechanical shape. It will run better, last longer, and return better fuel economy.
(3) Good inflation: Drivers waste millions of gallons of gas each year due to under-inflated tires. Maintaining optimum tire inflation is one of the best ways to maintain – and even increase – your fuel economy.
(4) Weight watchers: It takes more energy (and therefore, more gas) to move a heavier object. Inspect your trunk, and remove unnecessary heavy objects.
(5)Drive straight: Poor wheel alignment increases tire friction, causes premature tire wear, and requires extra gas to move the vehicle.
(6) Low grades: Don’t waste your money on premium gasoline if your car doesn’t require it. Consult your owner’s manual and use the lowest octane gas it recommends.
(7) Cruise control: On long trips where traffic permits, use your cruise control. It will enable you to maintain a constant speed more efficiently
If you have any questions, feel free to ask your friendly Kia of North Grand Rapids service advisor. We’re happy to help!